Thursday 10 May 2018

Pacha Manga Uppilitathu | Raw Mangoes in Brine | Brined Raw Mangoes | Uppilitta Manga

Mangoes are in season and I know many of you have your family or signature recipes that you make as soon as get hold of some raw or ripe mangoes na.. You know what I do when I get hold of some raw mangoes? Brine it.. Yes, that's what Deeps loves the most with raw mangoes :) And then comes the pickle of course ! But for me it's the Manga pachadi that my mom makes.. I'm yet to post that here.. Didn't get decent pics yet to make it here ;) So you may remember that I brined gooseberries when they were in season and so you must now have understood my family's love for brined veggies.. The process for the raw mangoes is also same as that for gooseberries.. Only thing that takes time here is cutting the mangoes..And since I had some time I took some extra pics and hence this page is spammed with them and I hope you don't mind.. So if you also love brined raw mangoes, go make some before they go out of season :)

Other recipes with Mango:

Pacha Manga Sadam | Raw Mango Rice
Mampazha Pachadi | Pazhutha Manga Pachadi
Mambazha Pulissery | Mambazha Kaalan
Unakka Chemmeen Maanga Curry | Kerala Style Dried Shrimp Raw Mango Curry
Chakkakuru Manga Curry







I Took: 

Preparation Time: 10 minutes


I Used:


Raw Mango (Salem/Totapuri)-1 big one
Green Chilly-2 nos
Salt-As needed
Water-1 ½ cup


The Way:


1. Rinse the raw mango well and allow them to dry. You can pat them dry using a kitchen towel

2. Then cut them into bite size pieces. The size of the mango is purely your choice. If you want the skin on all pieces, then cut them in half (through the seed) and then remove the seed and cut them into pieces.

3. Heat water in a saucepan. Allow it to come to boil and then cool it to room temperature

4. Now take the raw mango pieces in a glass bottle or container. Add slit green chillies and salt. Then pour the water into it. The water level should be above the raw mangoes. Check for salt. The water should be salty (slightly more than normal salty taste). If not sufficient, add accordingly

5. Rest it for a day or two and then you can refrigerate it. Leave it for at least a week before having it


Notes:

  • No need to add vinegar or lemon juice as the mangoes itself will be very sour. As soon as you pluck them or buy them, brine it. If you keep it for a day or two the mangoes will start to sweeten up
  • I allowed the raw mangoes to rest for a day in room temperature and then refrigerated it for a month and then used it
  • Avoid using plastic containers to preserve this. I did once and also did not refrigerate them and they developed mold and had to discard them
  • You can also use up the brine once the raw mangoes are over. Take about half glass of the brine, add some lemon juice and another half a glass of soda. Mix well and serve

Cheers,
Chitz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by !! I am really happy that you take time to let me know how you feel :-)